$20 Dollar Trick for Las Vegas Room Upgrades
- Learn how to do the the so-called "$20 dollar trick" & which hotels offer the best room upgrades (75% of us got lucky last year!)
- Learn how users like you save $1000s on Las Vegas hotels
How to Do The $20 Dollar Trick for Vegas Room Upgrades!
There is no secret handshake, sign or password. When you go to the front desk to check into a hotel, they will ask for a credit card, driver’s license or passport. Slip a $20 bill between your ID and credit card and ask clerk if there are any complimentary upgrades available. There must be more to it than that, you’re thinking. But nope – it’s that easy. They will start typing on their keyboard and will do their best to give you a complimentary upgrade because they want the tip!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why should I tip $20 to my hotel check in clerk?
Tipping the hotel’s front desk staff means the chance of landing a cheap room upgrade. Twenty bucks for a room upgrade is a no-brainer, right? The so-called ‘$20 dollar trick’ or ‘credit card sandwich’ is common across the US, but in Las Vegas – a city that runs on tips – it’s universal. Your chances of a room upgrade vary with the hotel and the clerk who serves you.
- Which hotels do I have the best bet of an upgrade at? We believe the top Vegas hotels on the Strip for an upgrade are currently Palazzo, Mirage and Planet Hollywood. Our full list of hotels ranking by odds of an upgrade is here.
- How much should I tip the front desk for an upgrade? A $20 tip is the norm, but some of our users prefer to live large. Take a look at our ‘best of’ section to see what our users say to get some idea of what works at which hotels.
- What if my front desk tip doesn’t work? So what? Relax! It might be a little embarrassing, but either chalk it up to experience or come back later and try your luck with another check-in clerk. Most clerks will know to give you back the money if they cannot upgrade you.